[dojo-contributors] library-specific debugger extensions

Adam Peller peller at dojotoolkit.org
Wed Mar 24 13:56:09 EDT 2010

Patrick Mueller, a colleague of mine at IBM, is looking at some
debugging improvements to webkit that might help Dojo.  He posted to
dojo-interest, and I'd like to encourage you all to give him some
feedback.  We could initiate him into contrib for this if that makes
sense, but I thought it might be easier to get feedback from the
larger community and try having the discussion on dojo-interest
(please direct replies there)

http://n3.nabble.com/library-specific-debugger-extensions-tp453684ef33424.html

Initially, we thought of hiding the 'goop' in the stack that comes
with closure tricks and stepping through code like dojo.connect,
topics, declare, Deferred...  Perhaps some notation could make this
possible in a library-independent way.  Additional abstractions for
the toolkit-specific concepts might be useful, tracking module
putting these directly in the debugger.  That's where some extension
mechanism might make more sense, and many of these tools might even be
possible to write in pure js given the right hooks.  What other
enhancements might be useful?  What other blockers do people run into
debugging with the existing implementation?

Also, he submitted an interesting hack to provide better function
display info using the displayName trick, though only for Webkit-based
browsers:

http://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/10852

-Adam