[dojo-contributors] Promises

Eugene Lazutkin eugene at lazutkin.com
Thu Mar 4 20:57:06 EST 2010

If it is 100% backwards compatible yet smaller --- I am all for it. But
setTimeout() hack bums me out. It is bad on so many levels including
debugging. And throwing an error from a setTimeout() callback... What is
the grand idea anyway? Who is going to catch it? How to catch it? Why
bother? How can it help me to find the source of an error? Why not
console.log() an error --- the effect looks similar? Why is this a good
way to do the default error processing?

Speaking about the (default) error processing.

1) The exception processing is not a symmetric thing. While try/catch
are symmetric, throw vs. try/catch are not. I think you make a mistake
by wrapping all three together and declaring that all three things
always go together. No, they are not. Usually there are many more things
that can throw exceptions than places to catch them. The same should be
applied to Deferreds/Promises.

2) OK, you caught an error. Now what? Not hypothetically but
realistically? Usually you have two major choices:

a) Retry an action, or rollback and retry a transaction --- 99% of cases
we are talking about (faulty) I/O, which can be treated this way. Try to
rollback and repeat "division by 0". :-)

b) Tell a user about the problem in some way.

Even (a) is frequently done by doing (b) --- asking user, if she wants
to repeat an action.

How is it done in the Real Life (tm)? You have to have an error
reporting facilities in your application. It can be something as simple
as using alert(), or (in reality) you have some visual design to present
all errors in a uniform way. Even in UI-less applications usually you
have a standardized logging or something to this effect.

Typically in my apps I have a top-level try-catch, which does exactly
what I described above. I rarely catch individual exceptions --- usually
splitting them in 2-3 classes (e.g., I/O vs. everything else) are enough
for me.

Now back to Deferreds/Promises. They don't change anything. But they
change an architecture a little bit. One way to do it is to have default
global callbacks, which are called when nobody else is handling an
error. If I want to be flexible, I use a stack of such callbacks ---
only the top one is called. I can push to stack and pop from stack my
custom error processors in different phases of my app to have some
flexibility.

I think it is a reasonable approach. I know from practice that it works.
And the technique doesn't rely on any hacks.

My proposal is to implement this default callback technique at the
library level instead of doing setTimeout() and throw exceptions from
nowhere. It doesn't require much code, yet flexible, practical, and
works as advertised. ;-)

Additionally, for debugging purposes, I think it would be nice to log an
error regardless if it was processed or not. From my experience I want
to know about it in 99% of the cases, while debugging. Make it a global
debugging switch, or reuse an existing one. In any case it is better
than to pepper all error callbacks with logging code.

Eugene Lazutkin
http://lazutkin.com/

PS: Is it "tl;dr" case again? Just checking. :-D