[dojo-contributors] Watchables, data bindings, and get/set

Peter Svensson psvensson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 00:21:52 EST 2010

I really like this. ++1. For the following reasons;

1) Having at the very least a baseline data object model will make it easier
for first-time users (and perhaps not loose them in the woods between
ItemFileWriteStore adn anything else :)
2) Anything making the code on my side less is a good thing
3) fin/fun is really cool (reactive templates)

Cheers,
PS

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 11:46 PM, Kris Zyp <kzyp at dojotoolkit.org> wrote:

> I wanted to propose having a pattern of providing the ability to monitor
> stateful objects in dojo with a watch() method. The watch method would
> be based on Mozilla's Object.prototype.watch [1]:
> obj.watch(propertyName, callback); // monitor a property
> or
> obj.watch(callback); // monitor any property change for that object
> The two primary types of objects that I would like to be able to monitor
> are widgets and data store objects. We have recently discussed using a
> different data/object store approach whereby data store objects could be
> provide a consistent set of methods, and watch() could certainly be one
> of them. We could also easily add watch to dijit._Widget and deliver
> notifications to listeners for any attribute changes. The ability to
> watch an object would be discerned with feature detection (the presence
> of obj.watch), but would hopefully be available at least on all widgets
> (although user objects could implement this ability as well).
>
> One of the primary motivations for this design, is would enable building
> functionally reactive "live" templating engines or data-bindings on top
> of Dojo. The concepts of functional reactive design (or data-bindings)
> have been demonstrated in other projects like Flex, Flapjax [2], and Fin
> [3]. There recently has been interest expressed in developing a template
> language with these type of data-binding capabilities that could run on
> Dojo, where one could write something like:
> or
>
> And the variable/object property would be evaluated when the template is
> executed, and the templating engine would then automatically "watch" the
> obj's foo property for any changes and automatically rerender the
> template when the value changes. This is a powerful concept because it
> can remove a significant amount of user code for event propagation and
> rerendering.
>
> I think another beneficial pattern for clarity of code with code-based
> attribute access would be using get()/set() pattern for code-controlled
> property access. We have discussed this before, but I think this is much
> clearer the current widget attr() that handles both gets and sets.
> watch()/get()/set() would make a clear easy-to-use pattern for
> interacting with widgets.
>
> [1]
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference/Objects/Object/watch
> [2] http://www.flapjax-lang.org/
> [3] http://ajaxian.com/archives/fin-self-updating-template-language
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Kris

Don't miss the hottest event of 2010: Scandinavian Web Developer Conference:
http://www.swdc-central.com
--
http://se.linkedin.com/in/petersvensson