Adam Peller peller at gmail.com
Fri May 29 10:30:46 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 7:37 AM, Mike Wilcox <mwilcox at sitepen.com> wrote:
>I believe it was ruled out as not sufficient. I bring it up because I
>want to throw my vote in there that I agree. I wanted SO to work, but
>it doesn't – it's too different.  I also prefer email support and
>would be happy with either of the solutions that we are going to vote
>on.

I think we only agreed that SO was not a 1:1 replacement for forums/mailing
lists/discussions.  I do think SO is very promising for question and answer
style discussions and that we should try it out while we move everyone down
to the one mailing list.  The results on SO seem more valuable than in any
discussion format.  Wouldn't it be great if SO were our first line of
defense and people checked it before getting into longer discussions on the
mailing list?  If we had a way to integrate filtered SO output into our site
via feeds, that would probably help a lot.

Either way, the barrier to entry at SO is about as low as it could be, so
why not just try it out in parallel?  It's a lot easier to check than
keeping up with the Drupal forums, so I'd say it's a net gain.

-Adam