[dojo-contributors] Forums to Die, Mail vote.

Peter E Higgins dante at dojotoolkit.org
Thu May 28 19:10:48 EDT 2009

Hi Developers,

The time has come to end this discussion. We've been having it for
quite some time, and it is apparent that _something_ must happen in
the immediate future as our users are suffering from a number of
different issues.

We all can agree to this point on the following:

a) Multiple static support outlets is not helping anyone.
    * We're dividing our already overworked developers into forums and
mailing lists, signficantly reducing the participation in either.
b) The usability of the Drupal Forums is poor.
c) E-mail is future proof.

So, at last night's meeting we had a healthy discussion
[dojo.deathmatch(ftw)] trying to come to a consensus. The summary is,
more or less:

The forums need to go away. We need to make them read-only, and
clearly direct everyone to the mailing list. This needs to happen
immediately and precisely so there are no confused users during the
transition and no one wondering where to find support. We want to keep
email, as it is the preference of the majority and has been reliable
for years now.  The idea is to pick an email outlet and work from
there on the interface, either adopting groups or nabble, but
ultimately tie it into whatever email system we pick.

So I'm proposing a vote on the more specific issue of what to do
_after_ we discontinue the forums. The vote is:

Vote to continue using the existing in-house mailing lists, while
allowing external interfaces via the users choice of software (nabble
or similar software to be linked to from dtk.org and people can use
email or other options).  In the future we are open to providing
additional interfaces either internally or externally as appropriate.
Dojo-interest will be renamed and/or split into 1 or more mailing
lists as deemed appropriate by discussion and/or voting (or we can
stick wit t he dojo-core/dijit/dojox if desired).  All existing
mailing list users will automatically be integrated into this
process.  Archives will continue as they are and can be styled further
in the future if desired or left as they are (and pretty standard
among mailing list archives)

Your votes will be weighted based on participation in either the
forums or mailing lists. I'm +1, which is more +5ish ;)

Regards,
Peter

--
Peter E Higgins