[dojo-contributors] IBM Wants Patent For Regex SSN Validation

Alex Russell slightlyoff at google.com
Tue May 26 14:08:31 EDT 2009

Sooo...let me get this right:

1.) IBM donates massive manpower and time to make Dojo better, and in
the process something that a lawyer considers novel falls out
2.) IBM commits massive manpower and money to applying for a patent
3.) IBM contributes many patents back to the OSS world

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-140650.html

I can't impute any motives to anyone here, but if what I know about
big organizations holds, this patent is likely defensive in nature and
the CCLA which IBM has contributed the original code under protects
*EVERYONE* (including you).

Whatever you think about software patents, IBM has their ducks in a
row on this, and that ordering was done in such a way as to *remove*
ambiguity. There's no risk to you for using anything in Dojo, largely
due to at IBM's insistence on equitable terms for everyone.

You're welcome back here when you can behave in a civil fashion
towards those who you don't agree 100% of the time, and not before.

Regards