Nikolai Onken nikolai at nikolaionken.com
Tue May 26 06:35:52 EDT 2009

> * making sure all questions get answered
> * making sure highly useful or correct answers filter to the top for
> future use
> * email/forum/[insert other system] unification so all messages get
> routed and received in the user's choice of mechanisms

+1

> * mechanism mark a question as answered
> * mechanism to easily assign questions to the subject experts for that
> question

+1

I think all the points you mention are great and describe a support
system which could solve a lot of our issues.

I have a few points we should ask ourselves though:

- 	Do we have the resources to do the job of setting up and
maintaining such a system and if, what timelines are we talking about?
Is this not just another burdon on our shoulders?
-	Are we deciding on a potentially "unknown" system which might reveal
issues in the long run and is the system simple enough to not be
dependent on someones commitment and fundamental knowledge?
	As a counterpoint - though google groups is not an as powerful
solution as for example Clearspace, it _just_ works and we could bend
it to our needs at least to some extend (tags, filters, yahoo pipes,
datastores, DTL).
- 	Are we trying to solve too much? Is it really our job to give such
a high level of support (I think ideally it is :) but still we should
ask that question). Can we ask such a high commitment from the people
who help?
-	Will this actually eliminate the need for a simple thread based
solution or is that included?

Other random thoughts I have:

- 	How about using google groups while having a FAQ style system (with
answer ranking, etc.) on DojoCampus - something like http://stackoverflow.com/
  ?
	I don't necessarily see those two types of support be in conflict
with each other.
	This would allow us to move forward on the topic while being able to
improve support by adding extra features.
-	We should use a solution which lets us focus on writing JavaScript -
this is what we do every day and what we do best and this is how we
can "impress" people the most.
	We already have tons of ways we can use/manipulate data to our needs
(dojo.data, DTL, etc.), let's use those.

At this point I tend to favour a solution which lets us be lean,
flexible, fast and reliable - and which lets us focus on what we need
to do. To me google groups is giving a feeling of least magic and
covers most ground on the issues I am seeing.
Currently we are missing that flexibility, that leaniness and that
potential of reacting fast to the needs of the community - until we
haven't covered that base (and we still have lots of work to do) I am
hesitant towards more complex solutions.

Nikolai

...oh, in regards to code examples - Imho we should have our own
pastebin (independent of what solution we will be going for), make
sure it highlights well and off we go.