Dylan Schiemann dylan at dojotoolkit.org
Mon May 25 04:08:12 EDT 2009

In my ideal world, the forums system would really have some of the same
benefits of a information/knowledge management system, or a FAQs
system... right now, the existing system has solved the performance
issue (thanks to the tireless work of Dustin), but we're lacking three
main things:

* making sure all questions get answered
* making sure highly useful or correct answers filter to the top for
future use
* email/forum/[insert other system] unification so all messages get
routed and received in the user's choice of mechanisms

On the first point, we're missing a few things:

* mechanism mark a question as answered
* mechanism to easily assign questions to the subject experts for that
question

On the second point, we fail miserably, but it could be a highly useful
mechanism through something like moderator voting, or a way to link
solid discussions to the relevant documentation.

On the third point, I would expect users to be able to publish/subscribe
questions/answers/ratings via email, web, twitter, rss, etc.

I know, this is a lot of work, who's going to do it, etc.  But this
explains why I don't think Google Groups is the right answer for solving
the problems we have today.

My guess is that if we define clearly what we need and expect, we can
get a few people moving in the right direction to create something that
actually solves our needs.  Without a clear sense of purpose and
direction, we just keep discussing it and then time passes.  Let's write
a multi-stage spec. for what we need, and see who's interested in making
it happen, and do it.

I also think the result should be a great, high-traffic real-world
application of how to make great use of Dojo + something.  I know
resources are limited, but I think a solid roadmap will make it much
easier for anyone that wants to help get involved to get involved.

Regards,
-Dylan