Bill Keese bill at dojotoolkit.org
Mon May 25 03:11:07 EDT 2009

Eugene Lazutkin wrote:
> I am the guy who routinely moves questions from one forum to another ---
> remember "[editor: moving to the appropriate forum]"? So I have a
> mini-statistics on this topic.

BTW, thanks for doing that and also for the email.

> #1 was mostly due to the fact that users associate Dojo with everything
> else: "Problem with a dialog, a grid or a chart? Sounds like it is a
> Dojo problem => use the Dojo forum.

Yeah, too bad we have unfortunate naming like that.

> [with mailing lists] it would be impossible to
> move posts. Another potential problem specific to mailing lists:
> cross-posting, which can be a problem when we have several of them.

Good point.

> The big question is: do we really need to segment the user support channel?
 > django-developers averages 300-500 messages a month,
 > django-users --- ~2500 a month => almost 100 per day. Nobody complained
 > yet that it is difficult to fish out relevant messages. Hmm. Food for
 > thought.

Sounds like the leaning is to just have a single support group,
especially with nonken's suggestion about tagging?

> Our forum demonstrated another huge problem: it was next to impossible
> for users to post code snippets correctly.

I agree... wish I had a good solution; I don't see a way to do it in
google groups either.   There's a file-upload capability but the files
aren't tied to particular posts.

We can use the code-snippet website you mentioned but it seems like a
poor solution.  I guess that's one advantage of phpBB (you can surround
the code with [pre] and [/pre] tags, right?).