Bill Keese bill at dojotoolkit.org
Thu May 21 22:04:53 EDT 2009

Dustin Machi wrote:
> Given that google groups fails to meet the original
> purpose of using forums in the first place (splitting up forums into
> more manageable chunks)

I don't think that was the original purpose of switching to forums; you
can easily create multiple mailing lists to split things up.

And, google groups allows you to create as many groups as you want.
Six months ago we tentatively agreed to have three groups:

   - http://groups.google.com/group/dojotoolkit-core
   - http://groups.google.com/group/dojotoolkit-dijit
   - http://groups.google.com/group/dojotoolkit-dojox

This was the compromise between having a single group (dojo-interest),
which contributors hated because they couldn't monitor a certain subject
like dijit or charting, versus having many groups (see
http://dojotoolkit.org/forum although our website is down now), which
contributers hated because users kept posting to the wrong groups.

> its not clear to me why we don't just close
> the forums and use the existing mailing lists.  People can go back to
> using nabble or gmane or whatever external tool to submit from the
> web.

Well, anything would be better than the current situation with competing
mailing lists and forums.

I guess dropping the forums and just supporting mailing lists (maybe not
dojo-interest but three mailing lists) would be OK, although I'm not
sure what that achieves over completely outsourcing.

I'm against supporting any forums in-house because of our long history
of IT issues, and also because (like the web site) it gives contributors
an excuse to endlessly debate about customization / site design / etc.
rather than actually working on dojo or answering support questions.

PS: I'm having problems with dojo's SMTP server again and I can't send
this message; will try using yahoo's server instead.