[dojo-contributors] dojo roadmap

Tom Trenka ttrenka at gmail.com
Thu May 14 11:28:37 EDT 2009

I've been kicking around some ideas, and I think at this point I'd like to
promote what many of you might consider to be radical changes.  Please bear
with me on this and recognize that what I'm proposing here is meant to begin
some real discussions...right now, I would be considering this proposal as a
(fairly) major reorganization aimed at the 1.5 milestone release.  Probably
most would rather consider it for 2.0 but since our release cycles tend to
be pushed way out, I think it's reasonable to consider this for an earlier
major milestone...
1.5: *Promote DojoX to be a true first-class citizen in the Dojosphere*.
This may seem like an odd thing to say, but allow me to explain.  Currently,
DojoX is used for all sorts of different purposes--for some things, it's a
breeding ground for eventual migration; for some, it's a playground; for
others, it's like a personal repo.

I would like this to change.

The goal here would be to couple DojoX releases with the Core (and not
Dijit, I'll get to that), so that the two projects are considered congruent.
 This means that the idea of trying to package individual projects in DojoX
is no longer a necessity.

In order for this to happen, I think we need to make the following changes,
both directly to DojoX and also in the rules overseeing DojoX:

*1. Migrate the pieces in DojoX that should be migrated.*
On my list of things here, the following should be migrated to Core:  gfx,
dtl, portions of io, rpc and data; grid should be migrated to Dijit with all
possible speed.

*2. Make decisions on what current parts of DojoX should remain, as worthy
parts of a core release.*
The criteria here is that whatever remains needs to have the following
attributes:
a. either in beta or stable.
b. serve a purpose that a typical Dojo consumer would need on a semi-regular
basis.
c. having a focus that is part of the long term goals of the toolkit itself.
d. is and continues to be under active development, if not entirely stable.

On my short list here is FX, the Charting package, and (at least) Cometd.
 What else ends up on this list is entirely up to discussion but I would
like to keep it short and solid; for example, I would consider Storage to be
a candidate but I'm not sure about off, etc.

*3. Move everything else out of DojoX and out of the release cycle.*
Before anyone starts saying "hey, what the hell", hear me out.

There are a lot of things sitting in DojoX currently that have only one
developer, is not under active development, serves only a single party's
needs, etc. etc.  Most of these projects, while some are very interesting,
should really not be a part of a Dojo release cycle at all (and I think this
is one of the reasons why we've been going back and forth on the whole
separate package thing), and so I think we should be moving them out of
DojoX altogether.  Things on this list (IMHO) include analytics, av, wires,
sketch, collections, encoding, and more.

However, I don't think we should be losing any of these projects either,
so...

*4. Take over the dojoc concept and rename it to something like "dplug",
"plug" or "plugins".*
But I'm going to simplify this idea (after talking it over with Dustin);
what we basically do is this:

a.  allow anyone with current ownership of a DojoX project to choose how
they would like to maintain the code (i.e. whether they want to move to a
different repo system or not).
b.  Provide a repo that is *not* on a release cycle; this would be what is
currently the dojoc concept, but renamed to something like the above.
c.  With every Dojo release, provide an empty directory at the same level as
dojo, dijit and dojox--named the above.

The idea here is to allow *anyone* to use that namespace as an automatic way
of being able to drop plugins into an existing Dojo release, not have to
worry about registering a namespace, and being able to instantly go with
whatever code they want.  It'd also allow us to maintain a place where
projects that have lived under DojoX for a while can undergo active
development (if so desired) without having to be tied to a release cycle.

It should also allow whoever to be able to do builds without a huge amount
of extra pain.
-----------------

There are a few things that I have deliberately left out of this--the
biggest one being anything that is currently in DojoX that is widget-based.
 I have a proposal for this as well but I am unsure if it's the right way to
go; however, I do feel that DojoX is no longer a place that widgets should
be in and it should be congruent to Core and only Core.

To this end, I might suggest *creating a DijitX project*--which would serve
the same purpose for Dijit as DojoX does for Core.  Anything widget-based
that the Dijit team feels is a good add-on to Dijit without having to
satisfy the same stringent requirements can go in there.

In my mind though, the main thing is that anything in the streamlined DojoX
doesn't have or wrap any of the Dijit infrastructure.
-----------------

While aggressive, I think that this kind of change is definitely do-able for
the 1.5 release (since it should not radically affect the other two
projects); for backwards-compatibility, we can include simple stub files in
DojoX with deprecation messages for existing users, and make sure that users
of that codebase can find the new locations of their project dependency.

I'm proposing this idea because it seems to me like it kills several birds
with one stone--
1. We can clamp down on what goes into DojoX (i.e. no more playground)
2. We can stop worrying about individual package building
3. We can continue to couple DojoX to a Core release
4. We can really start promoting the idea of the plugin as essential to the
continuing evolvement of DTK
5. We can provide a basic infrastructure for those plugins so that writing
them is a simple matter of saying "call it plugin.foo and drop it in here".
6. The build system can pick up plugins by adding a couple of lines to a
specific profile (iirc).

Thoughts, arguments, suggestions?

regards,
trt