Dustin Machi dmachi at dojotoolkit.org
Mon May 11 15:31:31 EDT 2009

I've stated my opinion on this previously and it remains unchanged.  I
do not think that moving this stuff outside of our infrastructure will
do anything to ease the maintenance of our community.  I've stated in
the previous thread that the ongoing maint is not the primary issue,
it is migration where the time is needed and this exists in either the
case of external software or internal software. In the case of
external software there is either a need to import current data into
the new system or continue to maintain the existing system, which both
complicates searching of the forums as well as eliminates the ongoing
maintenance argument.

The primary impetus of the previous discussion was due to performance
problems that existed at the time and those problems were solved.
While the conversation devolved into everyone's wishlist of features
for forums, it was secondary to the initial problem.  I agree that we
should migrate to something else since noone is willing to put effort
into it, but i fail to see why it needs to be done externally.  I
don't see how it can be though of as simplifying maint by moving it
externally.  It simply makes it more difficult to integrate and bend
to our will.  The migration and maint tasks exist in either case and
community maint is made more difficult.

Futhermore, it is a complete misinterpretation to think that it was
previously implied that 'django would solve all our problems'.  We
simply said we would rather have standalone packages for the
individual components and I continue to believe this should be the
approach that we take.  The reference to django was only preference to
solutions that were written with or used django would be weighted as
we have active developers and contributors who are familiar with it
and could make modifications and updates as necessary.  We are of
course free to choose a forum (or any service solutions for that
matter) that is composed of something else, but the trade off comes
from the number of people willing to learn and work on it...the
primary drupal problem.

So while I think its the wrong decision to move everything offsite and
I think we will regret doing so in the future, we can proceed with
that option, but will still need to find people to do the migrations
and maint.  There should be at least one primary Ops person per
foundation project who is the primary ops/support person for that
project. I'll then support these people from the foundation perspective.

-1 offsite apps, +1 getting rid of dojo-interest,
Dustin