[dojo-contributors] A new build tool for style guide violation checking

Mike Wilcox mwilcox at sitepen.com
Mon May 11 10:51:06 EDT 2009

> Mike Wilcox wrote:
>> It sounds like you are mixing two different validations - code
>> integrity (braces in if statements)  and formating integrity (proper
>> tabbing and minimum whitespace).
>>
> Maybe I'm confused, but I'm talking about our "style guidelines".
>
> if (foo) { return; }
>
> should be:
>
> if(foo){ return; }
>
> and explicitly NOT:
>
> if(foo) return;

Yes, but let me clarify what I saw as a problem - having the parser
handle code validation and format validation. If hypothetically, we
wanted to use JSLint, and remove our custom engine we would lose the
validation of tabs and spaces, since JSLint doesn't do that.

Basically, there is code style which applies to JavaScript, and format
style which applies to the docs and build/compression.

I only suggest they be two different validation engines. Otherwise its
all good stuff.

Mike