[dojo-contributors] A new build tool for style guide violation checking

Peter E Higgins dante at dojotoolkit.org
Mon May 11 05:06:41 EDT 2009

Sweet!

Couple of things pop out at me (I'm looking at dojo/back.js now)

* Whitespace around || statements: eg: var f = a||b||c should be var f =
a || b || c;
* Tabs/spaces after last character in line (we could probably strip
these pre-commit with sed or similar)
* if(foo){ }else{ } ... iirc we disallow unbracketed conditionals and
loops even for single line cases
* objects _should_ have space after the {}, eg: {display:"none"} should
be { display: "none" }, but I'm not sure that is mandatory.
* we're using document.write in that file. for the sake of consistency,
we could detect that and "suggest" using dojo.doc or something similar

Those are [at least to me] the "important"/"common" things. It might be
too much to ask for check for a space/tab between a comment and a
keyword, eg:

//summary:
//   Hi!

should be

//\tsummary:
//\t\tHi!

Otherwise, great stuff. Will take a peek at the patch and see what all
it is doing. Sorry I didn't get back to your inital email, but my
drafted repsonse was "yes, run with it"

Regards,
Peter

Shane O'Sullivan wrote:
> I've also put a copy of the report online at
> http://skynet.ie/~sos/misc/dojoCheckstyle/util/buildscripts/checkstyleReport.html
> for people to check out rather than having to apply the patch.
>
> Shane
>
> 2009/5/11 Shane O'Sullivan <shaneosullivan1 at gmail.com>:
>
>> As usual, it's always the little things that get forgotten :-)  Sorry
>> about that, the patch is there now.
>>
>> Shane
>>
>> 2009/5/11 Adam Peller <peller at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Shane - I don't see the patch.  Can you post it again?
>>>
>>> I think it might be best to add this as a pre- (fatal) or
>>> post-processing (warning) svn-hook.

Peter E Higgins
Dojo Project Lead : http://dojotoolkit.org