James Burke jburke at dojotoolkit.org
Mon May 11 01:26:44 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Peter E Higgins <dante at dojotoolkit.org> wrote:
> And not that I want to rehash this topic, but I am getting increasingly
> disgusted by the separation. Half the questions that _could_ be easily
> fielded by the committers are going to the dojo-interest group, which
> seems VERY FEW of the committers read or respond to. The other half go
> unanswered in the forums. I only assume few committers read the forums
> because of the horrible horrible usability of the forum software. I
> assume because I've done nothing but erase spam messages from topics for
> the last two weeks, I've had to plain turn off commenting on some of the
> current front-page blogs because I have been unable to keep up, and no
> one seems to be helping. Even worse, Drupal's crap usability prevents me
> from erasing spam comments _while_ comments are disabled or "read only",
> so in some cases new spam is coming in while I'm attempting to erase.
> I've yet to find a way to bulk erase comments.

If it is any consolation, I also spent a good amount of time starting
last weekend removing spam and marking some posts as read only.
Annoying it has gotten so bad lately.

I favor using Google Groups or stackoverflow.com for the forum-like
help services. stackoverflow.com might be better at dealing with the
spam vs Google Groups.

It seems best to move as much infrastructure to services that are
better staffed/focused to deal with these issues. As Peter points out,
no one seems to have an interest/time in touching the drupal config
(excluding Dustin's efforts to just keep it running). I am also bummed
about the planet issue.

James