[dojo-contributors] A new build tool for style guide violation checking

Shane O'Sullivan shaneosullivan1 at gmail.com
Sun May 10 18:35:50 EDT 2009

Hi All,

Given that my first official check-in last week was riddled with style
guide violations, which I find it both difficult and boring to have to
look for (4 spaces looks VERY like a tab), I decided to have a go at
writing an extension to our build tools that does an optional check
for style guide violations.

It obviously can't check for everything in the style guide, but it can
enforce many of the simpler guidelines.

I've attached a patch file to http://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/9278
for people to look at.  It's extremely easy to use, instructions are
included in the ticket.

What do people think?   Right now it only enforces a few rules, more
as a proof of concept than anything else.  However, it's extremely
easy to extend to enforce more.  Also, while some guidelines would be
too difficult to do in this manner, the fact that there's about 5000
violations in the toolkit right now of just these sample rules shows
that this can be a very valuable tool for tracking these issues.

Thanks

Shane