Tom Trenka ttrenka at gmail.com
Sun May 10 15:31:29 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Peter E Higgins <dante at dojotoolkit.org>wrote:

> Agreed.
>
> And not that I want to rehash this topic, but I am getting increasingly
> disgusted by the separation. Half the questions that _could_ be easily
> fielded by the committers are going to the dojo-interest group, which
> seems VERY FEW of the committers read or respond to. The other half go
> unanswered in the forums. I only assume few committers read the forums
> because of the horrible horrible usability of the forum software. I
> assume because I've done nothing but erase spam messages from topics for
> the last two weeks, I've had to plain turn off commenting on some of the
> current front-page blogs because I have been unable to keep up, and no
> one seems to be helping. Even worse, Drupal's crap usability prevents me
> from erasing spam comments _while_ comments are disabled or "read only",
> so in some cases new spam is coming in while I'm attempting to erase.
> I've yet to find a way to bulk erase comments.

I would agree with you on this; from a personal standpoint, I simply haven't
had the time to be looking over the dojo-interest list (the only way I was
able to really look in the first place was to use Nabble, due to spamming
and other things).  I do try to keep up with the forums but find that
there's not a lot of questions I can answer, since the bulk of questions
tend to revolve around Dijit and the Grid.

WRT to the Drupal spam, I keep noticing it as well but it seems like every
time I go in there you (Pete) have already taken care of it.  And yeah, I'm
entirely with you about the non-bulk erase.

> So while Dustin was able to tackle most of the pressing ops failures we
> were experiencing at the time, it seems apathy has taken precedence over
> the rest. (Not on your part, Dustin -- just in general).
>
> The dropdown for "non-admin" users while posting is still empty. There
> is still no indication as to what special tags a user must use to safely
> put html/js snippets in posts, yadda yadda yadda.  NONE of our
> committers know or seem to like Drupal enough to hack on it to fix these
> things, and while the "new site" in progress (we're actually sitting now
> hacking on it in Germany) is all django (and easy to deploy locally and
> hack/fix/etc), it doesn't contain a forum solution.

My apologies on that (somewhat); Alex basically slammed in the hacked
solution I pulled for the API docs on that one (and I don't blame him one
bit for it) and my own Drupal install has been archived for quite some time.
 I have been trying to go through and edit posts I see that are busted but
that's really a non-starter for me, especially given the time constraints
I'm currently up against (Pete, you can ask Dylan since he's responsible for
that ;)).

> If nothing else, the argument for moving to Google Groups is more
> compelling due to the excessive bandwidth we're taking at the foundation
> servers, which I'm led to believe we're being billed heavily for due to
> overages.

I would agree with you 100%.  In fact, I'd make the following suggestions at
this point:

1. Go with Google Groups, period.  And kill off dojo-interest.
2. Do our best to archive and let people find the current info from the
forums, but don't get overly nuts with it if we can't.
3. WRT to the news/blog: set up a Wordpress install under something like
news.dojotoolkit.org, and install the Akismet spamming mechanism.  At least
with that we can do a quick and dirty theme (something akin to the new site
design) and go with the existing WP plugin structures to minimize whatever
work needs to be done to get it going with our needs.
4. Start really moving towards getting the new site up as soon as possible,
with both API doc and dojocampus doc integration.

Regards,
trt