Peter E Higgins dante at dojotoolkit.org
Sun May 10 14:56:49 EDT 2009

Agreed.

And not that I want to rehash this topic, but I am getting increasingly
disgusted by the separation. Half the questions that _could_ be easily
fielded by the committers are going to the dojo-interest group, which
seems VERY FEW of the committers read or respond to. The other half go
unanswered in the forums. I only assume few committers read the forums
because of the horrible horrible usability of the forum software. I
assume because I've done nothing but erase spam messages from topics for
the last two weeks, I've had to plain turn off commenting on some of the
current front-page blogs because I have been unable to keep up, and no
one seems to be helping. Even worse, Drupal's crap usability prevents me
from erasing spam comments _while_ comments are disabled or "read only",
so in some cases new spam is coming in while I'm attempting to erase.
I've yet to find a way to bulk erase comments.

So while Dustin was able to tackle most of the pressing ops failures we
were experiencing at the time, it seems apathy has taken precedence over
the rest. (Not on your part, Dustin -- just in general).

The dropdown for "non-admin" users while posting is still empty. There
is still no indication as to what special tags a user must use to safely
put html/js snippets in posts, yadda yadda yadda.  NONE of our
committers know or seem to like Drupal enough to hack on it to fix these
things, and while the "new site" in progress (we're actually sitting now
hacking on it in Germany) is all django (and easy to deploy locally and
hack/fix/etc), it doesn't contain a forum solution.

If nothing else, the argument for moving to Google Groups is more
compelling due to the excessive bandwidth we're taking at the foundation
servers, which I'm led to believe we're being billed heavily for due to
overages.

On an unrelated note: Planet Dojo is also broken, I've been manually
updating that for weeks -- _something_ was updated or changed, and all
the listed rss feeds sit at "0 seconds remaining until next update"
until manual intervention takes place. The error logs show hundreds of
"divide by zero" messages. I'm at a loss, and extremely frustrated
overall. Our users are suffering, confused, and scattered.

Something's got to give. Soon.

Regards,
Peter

Adam Peller wrote:
> The most pressing problem, imo, is unresolved: our community is split
> in two, as is our support.
>
> On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Eugene Lazutkin
> <eugene.lazutkin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Nope, Dustin was able to cure the most pressing problems of the current
>> set up.
>>
>> I got the XML export from our instance of Drupal and investigated it to
>> see if we can reconstruct the original forum from it using less
>> convoluted abstractions. And I looked at existing solutions for Django.
>> Yes, both are possible. But I didn't go beyond that.
>>
>> Eugene Lazutkin
>> Dojo Toolkit, Committer
>> http://lazutkin.com/

>>> Right, here's the thread:
>>>
>>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.dojo.devel/9466/focus=9504
>>>

>>> Eugene, I think you said that you were going to investigate some other
>>> in-house solution (IIRC the general sentiment was that using Django
>>> instead of Drupal would solve all our problems), did you ever get a
>>> chance to do that?

Peter E Higgins
Dojo Project Lead : http://dojotoolkit.org