[dojo-contributors] common cometd.js for dojo & jquery

Greg Wilkins gregw at mortbay.com
Sat May 9 03:38:46 EDT 2009

Dustin Machi wrote:
> Comments inline.
>
>>> * will people ever use the dojox.cometd client without using Dojo?
>> Depends on what you mean by "using dojo".
>>
>> dojox.cometd uses dojo's io and json features.
>> But some users will only use dojox.cometd and directly use
>> other parts of dojo.
>>

> Does this imply that the new implementation will have an abstraction
> layer and not use things like Dojo's I/O system and other functions/
> utilities it currently uses from Dojo?  If this is the case it seems
> like this move will penalize Dojo by having extra code to implement
> this abstraction layer.

The cometd.js class itself is not functional, as it only has stub
methods for json, XHR and binding args to functions.

These stubs have to be provided be each and every implementation,
so both dojo and jquery have to have an "extra layer".  But at runtime,
this is zero cost.

> While I am not particularly concerned with what namespace the cometd
> client ends up in (comments by Greg and Dylan about the path
> notwithstanding), I do think it is important to still be able to pull
> this code into a build as with the rest of the Dojo code

I completely agree.

The bottom line is that dojo.require("dojox.cometd") should pull in
everything that is required and should work with custom builds like
any other component.

So the questions I'm asking are really just about what it the
best development setup to achieve this without cut and paste.

> or it again
> seems like we're penalizing Dojo because the other libs don't support
> advanced features such as packaging and building (while Dojo was here
> first :P).  IMO if we end up with something that is abstracted and
> larger, and prevents normal dojo.require()/builds, someone will end up
> re-implementing it or will use the old client...and of course that
> probably doesn't help any of us.

I don't think there are any compromises being asked of for the dojo
implementation.  In fact, I think the new impl is smaller than
the old.

cheers