[dojo-contributors] dojo roadmap

Mike Wilcox mwilcox at sitepen.com
Thu May 7 20:58:56 EDT 2009

The IBM Team is doing their work on the DataChart, DataGrid, easier
Dijit Syling, Themes, etc. This is a very positive thing that should
be included in the roadmap.

What I'd like to see on the Roadmap:

Better Build Tools
Dustin I know is working on something that should help.
The AIR Toolbox Builder is a good start, but fell short of actually
helping newbies. It would be awesome if updates for that could get
funded.

Better CSS
The IBM team is working on making Dijits easier to style (I hope that
works!)
Help is needed on what style sheets are to be included in a Dojo app.
Even some CSS-specific help docs or something.
No more body class="tundra". Ugh. Why isn't that the default?

Dojo Core vs Dojo Base
Dojo Base should be "Dojo". Dojo Core should be... something else.
Dojo Plus maybe. PlusD? Heh.

Dojox -> Plugins
I don't know what the status of breaking Dojox into a set of plugins
is, but it's very important from a new dev perspective. This idea
seems to be suffering from paralysis by analysis.

Unofficial plugins promoted
I think this helps JQ get buzz, because anyone can write a plugin.
This is more marketing, but I figured while I was at it...

Dojo Data Refactor
The stores need to be reigned in; they're getting too idiosyncratic.
Each of them uses a different API. It's murder switching between
stores because you have to learn an entirely new query language (and
they are not documented). Data Stores are really catching on and we
need to make them easier to use.

Mike Wilcox
mwilcox at sitepen.com
http://www.sitepen.com