[dojo-contributors] Browser Support

Peter E Higgins dante at dojotoolkit.org
Tue Sep 16 13:17:16 EDT 2008

Becky Gibson wrote:
> So this brings up an issue that I was hoping to discuss at the
> Developer Day - where exactly do we stand with respect to testing?
> We have doh tests for many items - do they actually get run before we
> ship a release?  Is there someone who is "in charge" of running these
> tests on the various browser combinations?

We all should be running the unit tests on as many browsers are
available to use. Sam was working with Kevin to start a "unified" test
suite, which we could all go to and run the tests in whatever browser,
and that information would be stored, calculating how often each
test/browser was run for  given version, reporting errors
automatically.  I'm not sure the status on this project, it was
discussed two weeks ago at the meeting
> I worry that we remind folks to perform testing before a release but
> I'm never completely comfortable that it occurs.   I really think we
> need something more formal so that embarrassing defects don't slip
> through the cracks.

Hopefully, the above idea about an "official test matrix" will alleviate
any of these concerns. eg: we can't ship until all unit tests for the
rc1 have been run in the 'supported browsers' and are verified to work.
That's how it should be going now, but as the toolkit grows it gets
increasingly difficult.  Dijit has only a small collection of unit
tests, and those should be stepped up, but until we had doh.robot, we'd
been searching for a possible solution to the UI requirements ...
> Since I am one of the only people to perform accessibility testing, it
> is in my best interest to create some tests using doh.robot. But,
> there still needs to be a commitment by folks to actually run the
> tests.   Is there any way to encourage more folks with testing
> experience to join the dojo community?

Again, the above idea would simply be tracking useragents and test
results, stored in some db -- telling us exactly which browser/version
failed for which test. If anyone can simply "visit a link" and run the
test suite like this, and we make a stronger commitment to unit testing
throughout, we'll be fine.
> food for thought,
> -becky

Regards,