[dojo-contributors] Silverlight testers needed

Tom Trenka ttrenka at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 12:46:04 EDT 2008

Just tested my font stuff, IE6/WinXP Core2Duo box, Silverlight.  All work
better under Silverlight--although your observation about
test_vectortext_load is very true.  The only two things I can see there that
are different from everything else is the following:

1) I was resizing the surface after rendering every glyph in the font
2) I am rendering each glyph manually (i.e. not via <font>.draw())

The scaling factor might be an issue as well, although it would seem the
comic book test didn't have a real problem (though still slower than both
Safari and FF).

I have a feeling that part of the issue is not deferring rendering commands
across plug-in boundaries, though I can't be sure.  If that's the case, I
also have a feeling that I'm going to run into the same issues once I get
back to the Flash-based renderer.

I know this would require a major refactor but have you given any thought to
the idea of deferring rendering at all?  Something to the effect of:

dojox.gfx.suspend();
//  drawing code here
dojox.gfx.resume();

...or some other set of names.  The idea here would be similar to SVG's
suspend/resume; you could push a set of commands into a queue and force the
drawing all at once.  Nice thing about this idea is that it could be non-API
changing (i.e. current commands would render at once if these are not used)
but again it's a major refactor.

Just a thought.

regards,
trt