[dojo-contributors] Documentation digest

Nikolai Onken nikolai at nikolaionken.com
Thu Sep 4 07:39:39 EDT 2008

Hi all,

a short status update for everyone regarding our docs.
I'll try to send a regular update so we can keep track of how far we
are, its easy to loose track bearing the amount of stuff we could
document :)

As we discussed, our doc release goal will be to have a releasable
version for TAE.
As a minimum this should include the content of the dojo book.
If we can show the community that besides the great release features
between last DDD and next DDD we have tackled the docs I am sure that
we will get lots of positive feedback.
This will give the talks on the community day a solid foundation,
people (and we) can refer to.

Woots ;)
-----------

I wanted to give a big w00t to Jared's doc effort on dojo.data (http://docs.dojocampus.org/dojo/data/
  or http://docs.dojocampus.org/dojox/data/FileStore or http://docs.dojocampus.org
) and *all* others who already have invested lots of time - I am
amazed how much I don't know :). Its great to read and learn more
about Dojo every day. If we can keep up such a quality our docs will
stand out besides others.

Dojo
------

We still need to cover a lot of basics as we discussed in yesterdays
meeting, the stuff we use on a daily base.
James already said that he will "attack" dojo._base - if you can pick
modules from dojo as well that would be really good. Afaik most
popular not documented modules are

* dojo.fx
* dojo.dnd (probably the entire dnd doc is already existing inthe
google doc from Eugene - need to confirm status and then migrate)
* dojo.back

Dijit
-----

Dijits documentation coverage is getting pretty good, we are still
missing a few of the non-form / non-layout widgets.
It would be great if you can go over what we have already and add
stuff you know. A lot of the dijit pages are very example driven which
is good, but probably therefore are still missing some features and
elaboration.

Dojox
--------

Dojox is a huuge project which will take more time, it would be great
if we can get documentation ready for the most promoted projects.

* Grid
* Charting
* Cometd?
* gfx?
* widget? (Some widgets are already documented)

For all other modules, each owner should invest as much time as
possible to get those documented as well.

The whole project is moving along well. Tobias and I will make sure
that https will work in the next few days and that the remaining
features will get implemented (PHP upgrade =/, PDF, Api pulling, fix
doctests, CLA check?).
It also would be good to take a look at forum and #dojo FAQs - if we
see topics worth documenting we should throw them into docs as well -
the more "real life" oriented we are the better.

  A few notes
-----------------

Login: Just use your dtk account
Doc quickstart: http://docs.dojocampus.org/howto
Current book migration status: http://docs.dojocampus.org/bookmigration
What has been happening: http://docs.dojocampus.org/RecentChanges

If you need help ping phiggins, klipstein, remi-de or me (nonken) - or
anyone else who has gotten familiar with reST
If you find bugs regarding the infrastructure please assign them to
me, trac has a doc category iirc.
If you get chances to test the docs on all browsers, we can make sure
our docs will work on all environments.

Huzaa to dojo.docs,

Nikolai