[dojo-contributors] [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Flash Cross-Site Access Plugin]]

Mike Wilcox mwilcox at sitepen.com
Mon Oct 20 17:14:14 EDT 2008

On Oct 20, 2008, at 3:56 PM, Kris Zyp wrote:

> I think it'd be quite possible for me to include the necessary MXML
> project files or whatever along with the distribution, accommodating
> that concern. But I wouldn't want to eliminate the .fla from the
> distribution, since some people might prefer to use flash for their
> re-compilation rather than messing with Flex.  Is it possible to
> address their concerns by additionally including the MXML project
> files, or are they saying that the .fla couldn't/shouldn't be part
> of what you distribute?

Yes, we want to discourage the use of FLAs, since the Flash IDE is not
open source. Distributing them even as a second option is not very
"open sourcey".

I do however, use the Flash IDE to debug Deft files all the time (it
helps with runtime errors). In the Properties tab of an FLA file,
insert the main AS file of your package as the Document Class. Then
make sure the FLA is saved relative to that file.

> So, I'd have to figure out if MXML/Flex can be used to compile a SWF
> targeted at old AS1 style (flash v6) compilation or not. If it can,
> then I could and would certainly want to include that as well.  If
> not, then this might be a point of incompatibility, unfortunately.

I'm afraid that's a big problem. MXMLC only compiles Flash version 9
and up. I'm also not sure if Adobe licensing would cover an older
version of a SWF.

However, MTASC does older Flash files (though not newer, AS3 files).
And we do still support that I believe, since we still have
dojox.flash storage. It may be depreciated though. Tom may have to
tackle this one.

Mike

> -----------------------------
>
> If these concerns prove too difficult to work through, it's
> certainly understandable, and I think having my the flXHR-Dojo
> plugin at least included, with a link/txt-file to where to get the
> other necessary files from my site, would be just fine too.  You're
> right, the http://flxhr.flensed.com/ page would be the right page to
> direct them to, as it has a big prominent link on it for
> downloading...
>
> Anyway, thanks again for all your help and effort on this.  Let me
> know what they say about the MXML stuff.
>
> --Kyle

Mike Wilcox
mwilcox at sitepen.com
http://www.sitepen.com