[dojo-contributors] dojo.attr() does not return a number

Mike Wilcox mwilcox at sitepen.com
Sun Oct 19 17:00:56 EDT 2008

I'm working on a blog for SitePen on dojo.attr and dojo.style. I
noticed that dojo.attr does not return a number. A number would be
convenient for attributes like tabIndex or table.width.

Through some light testing, it appears that adding something along
these lines would work:

if( parseInt(attribute) == Number(attribute) ){
	return parseInt(attribute);
}

This seems to work in all the cases I can think of, although there are
a ton of use cases for this, so I may be missing something that makes
this a bad idea.

The one exception I would think is if the attribute name were 'value'.

Mike Wilcox
mwilcox at sitepen.com
http://www.sitepen.com
work: 650.968.8787 x218