[dojo-contributors] Flash Cross-Site Access Plugin

Kris Zyp kzyp at dojotoolkit.org
Thu Oct 9 12:25:03 EDT 2008

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or if there was a specific
policy on what should be included in Dojo...

Dojo 1.2 included a new registry for providing alternate XHR "plugins"
that could operate in lieu of the standard browser XHR mechanism to
provide cross-site requesting capabilities using the standard call-site
syntax of dojo.xhr(). The dojox.io.xhrPlugins module works done by
explicitly adding a XHR handlers and the URLs they cover (no magic
here), and several of these handlers are provided for different
cross-site techniques. One technique that I didn't include was using
Flash for cross-site requests. Recenty, the author of a JavaScript-Flash
bridge/library (http://flxhr.flensed.com/) contacted me about getting
his cross-site Flash/JavaScript library working as an XHR plugin for
Dojo, so I gave him a little help and he put together a plugin for
dojox.io.xhrPlugins.

So back to the question, should this plugin be included in dojox.io
(assuming CLA and everything)? The plugin is dependent on the third
party library. That library could be included (still assuming correct
licensing), but I assume we wouldn't want to do that since it has it's
own global namespace. I could just include the plugin, but I am guessing
that might be frustrating to users to find that they can't use the
plugin without downloading the other library. Anyway, I am assuming the
best course would be to simply include a note in the dojox.io.xhrPlugins
documentation indicating that there is a Flash/JavaScript library
available for use with servers that support Flash's cross domain
mechanism and provide a link to it.

And in case you want to see it, here is the demo he created (as well as
our discussion further below):
http://www.flensed.com/code/dev-tests/test-dojo-xhr.html

    Oops, that link should be:

    http://www.flensed.com/code/build/thirdparty/dojo-20080828/dojox/io/flXHRproxy.js