[dojo-contributors] Dojo marketing

James Burke jburke at dojotoolkit.org
Mon Oct 6 00:19:48 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Nikolai Onken <nikolai at nikolaionken.com> wrote:
> Wolfram has made a build last week in Boston which was aiming to cover
> exactly the issues you are mentioning.
> http://ddotjs.org/
> As far as I understood, this site is not complete yet but very close from
> being.
> Maybe we should take Wolframs efforts and include them in the release?
> Nikolai

I am reticent to include this as-is in the release -- it confuses the
purpose and message of Base in Dojo. Maybe we want to reconsider what
is in Base, but that is likely to be a longer discussion.

In the near term, what ddotjs.org could turn into is a web tool that
allows you to select the modules in Core you want and does the
scopemapping of "dojo" to "d" (or the user's choice). Or maybe it can
just evangelize the current Dojo Base.

In the longer term (Dojo 2.0 timeframe), if we were to reconsider
Base, then the functionality set should be what is in jQuery, and we
should change the APIs as such to reflect the jQuery APIs were
possible. It will likely not be a 100% match, and we will likely have
more in our stuff (like if we need dojo.Deferred if we keep our
current dojo.xhr code, and we likely would keep our loader).

Why jQuery? They have the greater mindshare. We need to make it easier
for people to transfer their knowledge to Dojo, in particular in the
use of Dojo Base. If we can piggyback on their documentation too, that
would be helpful. jQuery vs Dojo Base APIs are not that different
today, mostly some renaming of things, mostly in the NodeList area.
Maybe not do the .end() thing for pushing/popping node list contexts.

Anyway, if we make it easier to step into Dojo, it will be easier for
folks to start to appreciate Dojo's value-adds: the loader/module
system, dijit, and deep/broad support of cutting edge features in
dojox.

James