[dojo-contributors] Dojo marketing

Alex Russell alex at dojotoolkit.org
Sun Oct 5 16:34:19 EDT 2008

On Oct 5, 2008, at 1:26 PM, Adam L. Peller wrote:

> Back in the 0.9 days, we had a plan to make just dojo.js, the ~25k
> version,
> available for download at the main page.  Was there a reason we
> didn't go
> through with it?

Not that I know of. Probably got lost in the site re-design.

>  With all the hype JQuery has been getting, I think it's
> more urgent than ever to separate base from the rest of the
> toolkit.  How
> about we just offer up dojo.js on the landing page in a separate box
> (first,
> so the first thing people see is something SMALL) then have the
> current
> download buttons for "dojo, dijit, dojox" and shrinksafe below it?
> Long
> term, I wonder if it makes more sense to split out dijit, too, so
> people
> know what they're getting.

So there are several "layers" of stuff here, and they don't compose
well out of the box if you offer them *really* separately:

	dojo.js
	dojo/*
	dijit/*
	dojox/*

But if you say "dojo.js OR dojo/*", it gets a lot simpler, and zip
files can be easily made for each.

Pete: what's our plan for mini w/ 1.2? Could we take the dist dirs for
each project and do this with them post-mini shrinking?

> We can also provide the CDN reference as a teaser, which has an even
> smaller
> footprint :-)  Right now, that's hidden several links deep.  We
> could just
> put the CDN tag(s) in the box.

+1 !!

> Current download landing page:
> http://dojotoolkit.org/downloads
>
> We can refine this with the release of the new site.   Unless I hear
> any
> objections, I'll take a stab at this tonight.

Sounds like a great idea. We should likely even put this on the front-
page somewhere.

Regards

- --
Alex Russell