[dojo-contributors] selenium vs. windmill

Mark Hays haysmark at us.ibm.com
Tue May 27 20:07:08 EDT 2008

Thanks for the test suite+extensions, and for me, that test still had the
same problem: when I stepped through and fired the keyPress in
TestAutoComplete, 'e' was not entered in IE, but was in Firefox. Now of
course, you test for "text present" and so your test passes since Greece
is still in the dropdown, but it's not the only value in the list in IE.
If we wanted to test a dijit-style autocomplete=true and wanted to see if
the value of the textbox filled in by itself to Greece, your extensions
would still not be sufficiently x-browser.

Even if that was working, my other concern with using pure JS
methods/hacks to automate keypresses is that even if we get 'safe' keys
like letters firing consistently, we still won't be able to fire the
default actions for "unsafe" keys like tab, F10, and in the extreme case,
alt-F4. Even the Firefox code can't tab to the next field, for instance.
It most certainly won't alt-F4! You just can't do that kind of stuff in
JS.

Yet that missing functionality is exactly what our a11y people are
requiring from us. By invoking Java from Selenium/Windmill JavaScript in a
trusted applet (like living in the DOH runner or dijit's testcommon), we
get that functionality.

"Andreas Andreou" <andyhot at di.uoa.gr>
Sent by: dojo-contributors-bounces at dojotoolkit.org
05/27/2008 06:49 PM
Please respond to
"dojo dev." <dojo-contributors at dojotoolkit.org>

"dojo dev." <dojo-contributors at dojotoolkit.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [dojo-contributors] selenium vs. windmill

Regarding IE not actually typing the keys...

a few year ago (dojo 0.2 era) while working on an early tacos version,
we used a user extension for handling keys - probably due to
Selenium not (yet) offering such functionality.

So, looking again at TestAutocomplete from:
http://opencomponentry.com:8080/tacos/selenium/TestRunner.html?test=tests/TacosTestSuite.html

it see that IE is actually typing the keys - though i've forgotten the
details on how this worked...

Anyway, the (definitively ugly) code is still at
http://fisheye3.atlassian.com/browse/tacos/tacos-4.0/trunk/tacos-demo/src/context/selenium/user-extensions.js?r=359

http://svn.openqa.org/fisheye/browse/~raw,r=2075/selenium/trunk/src/main/resources/core/scripts/htmlutils.js

> So I was not surprised when I fired up Windmill in IE and discovered
that
> BOTH Windmill and Selenium have the exact same keyboard event bug I
showed
> Becky. When you call windmill.events.triggerKeyEvent/selenium.typeKeys,
> Firefox actually types the keys, but IE only sends the event; the text
> doesn't appear. This means that neither Windmill nor Selenium have
x-browser
> keyboard support. To resolve this, I have a java.awt.Robot applet proof
of
> concept to do proper keyboard support for us that works with either
Selenium
> or Windmill.
>
> I've used both Selenium and Windmill, and for me, here's what it comes
down
> to:
> - Selenium has a Grid, Windmill does not.
> - Selenium Grid has demos+documentation, Windmill is still a WIP
> - Selenium Grid comes pre-compiled, Windmill is python source, and
Windmill
> python dependencies in turn have VS2003 dependencies in Windows.
>
> Now, maybe promises from the Windmill folks for: a Grid, more
documentation,
> binary Windows builds, and fixing browser security restrictions so
htmlutils
> works, will drive us to choose Windmill. And it would be great if they
> delivered all of that for us right now. But it seems to me that we
needed
> these things yesterday and Selenium already had them.

Andreas Andreou - andyhot at apache.org - http://blog.andyhot.gr
Tapestry / Tacos developer
Open Source / JEE Consulting