[dojo-contributors] selenium vs. windmill

Dustin Machi dmachi at sitepen.com
Mon May 26 09:25:03 EDT 2008

> OTOH, IIUC Sitepen is using windmill, and tavchon talked about it at DDD
> (and his company is using it too).

I'm not sure that this is very accurate (the sp part).  We are all just
interested, the same as everyone else at Dojo, in having a way to
automate testing of the UI elements of dojo.  Previously this was
difficult with Selenium and noone seemed interested in investing the
time to figure it out and I understood that previous versions of
Selenium had some limitations which would have kept us from reaching our
goals if we had someone investing the time.  However as you mention many
others have been working on selenium and Dylan has also indicated that
somone (google?) has been helping with selenium over the past year and
has brought it within reach.

I believe that tvachom originally told us that they created Windmill
because, at the time it was started, there was nothing else.  All that
said, we also know that Windmill is specifically used to test dojo for
the OSAF.  I'm not personally aware of the specific limitations of
either solution.

I believe everyone at Sitepen will be happy with any solution that works :)

Dustin