[dojo-contributors] what we left behind...

Tom Trenka ttrenka at gmail.com
Fri May 9 20:04:06 EDT 2008

>> Please excuse my ignorance, but things like dojox.encoding.md5/sha1
>> (BSD) don't appear to be under CLA?  We have several BSD-released
>> products  we ship  with the Dojo Toolkit w/ proper attribution, though
>> this seems like an exception?  Not trying
>> to "start" anything, but would you mind to clarify the difference?

A second asterisk:

With the MD5 code, I ported it a long time ago (want to say at 0.1,
might have been 0.2) with some very clear direction from Alex and with
the permission of the original author, who'd released it under BSD to
begin with; the point of the LICENSE file was to ensure any kind of
clarity in terms of code history that may or may not be exceedingly
clear from the outset.

Note also that this was done in the days before strict adherence to
CLA signing; if I were to do this now, I would be looking to get Paul
Johnstone (the original author) to sign a CLA in order to use that
code, or I would end up (or anyone else for that matter) writing a
version from scratch based on the released specifications for those
algorithms (and this is one of the main reasons I have not applied a
patch from Cougar for the matching SHA1 code yet).

As Eugene would say...thanks--
trt