[dojo-contributors] dojo-contributors Digest, Vol 50, Issue 3

sam foster potatosculptor at gmail.com
Fri May 2 12:21:17 EDT 2008

The book, and the API docs need to be able to stand on their own. The
book is just that - you should be able to (literally or figuratively)
print and bind it and use it to walk your way through all the features
of the toolkit, and how to use them.

The campus augments that. Its a rich source of examples, that bubble
up stuff that is already documented in the book. Reciprocal links
btween the 2 benefit both - as well as links to the sitepen articles
and any other external dojo-related content. We do have to content
with link rot though - and the book is the only entity we have the
control over to backup, version, etc. I

I agree that we should periodically harvest the API comments. I do see
a problem if the API docs and the book (or any of the other resources)
start to vie with each other as being the authoratitive source on a
particular piece of dojo. Having to comb through the book, comments on
the book pages, the api docs and comments there is a bit much for what
should be essential documentation. Fine for getting context and
different perspectives on a feature though.

It seems like we'll start to need a diffinitive home for e.q.
dojo.query. Which page is the hub to which all articles, tutorials,
tips and corrections connect to?
I'd argue that if a dojocampus cookie finds itself linking over to a
sitepen blog post (or whatever) for further information on a feature -
that signals a gap in the book. We should be able to link to a central
dojotoolkit page that maintains a list of relevant resources -
including external ones. Yes, the sitepen articles on the Grid may
well be the best place to go to learn about the grid, but lets link to
a book/wiki page and let that direct me there.

Here's another way to think of it:
API docs: answer the What is in it? question
Book: answers the "what's it for?" question and "how do I use it?"
Campus: "how do /you/ use it?", "what's cool about it?"

Sam