[dojo-contributors] Unload, disconnect, leaks

Scott J. Miles sjmiles at turboajax.com
Tue Jun 26 16:15:24 EDT 2007

Reviewing http://trac.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/3531 has brought a couple
of issues to my attention.

It looks to me like Firefox is in an unpredictable state at
window.unload. Firebug doesn't work correctly, and various objects are
already released. I wonder if dojo.addOnUnload events should be firing
at "beforeunload" instead of "unload" (at least on FF)?

Also, it looks like various Dijit entities are doing cleanup at unload
time, and I wanted to ask about the rationale for that. This may be
naiive, but (with the exception of leaky constructs in IE<7) won't the
browser simply blast away everything by itself at unload time? Any code
built with dojo.connect/subscribe already has leak-protection.

The bug above looks to me to be an interaction of these two things.
Setting addOnUnload to fire with "beforeunload" and/or removing Dijit
manager's "unload" processing makes the problem go away.

Regards,
Scott J. Miles
TurboAjax Group
http://www.turboajax.com