[dojo-contributors] dojo.requireCss()?

Owen Williams owen at smartsoul.com
Tue Jun 12 14:47:51 EDT 2007

On Jun 12, 2007, at 11:16 AM, James Burke wrote:
> So to address the async loading issue with stylesheets as well as the
> path abstraction, I'm wondering if we can support something like
> dojo.requireCss(). It would resolve paths like dojo.require() does
> today and also treat the CSS as a resource that needs to be loaded
> before firing the domcontentloaded/onload callbacks. Example:
>
> dojo.requireCss("dijit.themes.dijit");
>
> which would map to dijit/themes/dijit.css. dojo.requireCss would pull
> in the CSS contents, fix the css paths and inline the CSS via
> something like the old insertCssText. It could process @import calls
> to files that mapped to module-prefixed paths too.

I think this is a great idea.

I have been privately circulating a similar idea to make themes
easier to load, more flexible, and able to be managed by the build
system.  I'll send a separate proposal for that if folks think that
requireCss() is a good idea.

> The icing on the cake: specifying an i18n bundle in a CSS comment that
> should be loaded and allow token replacement with bundle values in the
> CSS. This step could maybe be an optional add-on (since it depends on
> i18n and string replacement code), but something I could have used
> before.

We do this sort of thing at Zimbra and it makes a lot of stuff
possible in CSS that there is no other way to do.  James, I'd love to
hear more about your thoughts on how this would work.

cheers