[dojo-contributors] Dojo data discussion

Brian Douglas Skinner skinner at dojotoolkit.org
Thu Jun 7 17:19:31 EDT 2007

Jon Sykes wrote:
> But surely this is not a localization idea, it's a data format
> question.

Yes, maybe "localization" is the wrong word to be using to talk about
all this -- we're just talking about data access.

But I'm not sure that it's a data format question either.  Ideally the
dojo.data API serves as an abstraction that hides whatever underlying
data formats it's using.

> Total pseudo code, using the example below I could understanding
> wanting to be able to do:
>
> store.getLabel(germany), // would output an object with both so you
> could then do
>
> store.getLabel(germany).en;
> store.getLabel(germany).de;

Practically speaking, is there really much need for that?  In most
cases, isn't the UI just going to want to do something simple, like put
up a Select/option widget with a list of countries (or a list of
planets, or a list of companies, or whatever)?  In the common case,
doesn't the UI code just want to get a single value label for the item,
and a single value for each attribute of the item.  Don't we just need
to get a single value in the language that the user is using -- isn't it
overkill to provide results in a big variety of languages all at once?

:o) Brian