[dojo-contributors] Splitting projects between dojo and dojox

Tom Trenka ttrenka at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 12:37:01 EDT 2007

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I think you'll need to take
that up with Alex and Bill.  They don't want you using thier containers
unless it's a part of thier project, and frankly I don't want you using a
container other than DojoX if it's a part of mine :)
Part of this is most definitely a perception thing.  We have taken far too
much of a beating over the whole bloat concept; downloading Dojo 0.4 can
result very much in a "holy shit look how much stuff is here, are we forcing
everyone to download *all* of that????".  By pushing things that are not
essential into DojoX, and making it clear that its a set of unrelated
projects that can be downloaded and used separately, we're addressing that
issue.  Layered builds help that a LOT as well.

I also think its going to be pretty rare that something is actually pushed
from DojoX into either Dojo or Dijit.  Ostensibly the point of 0.9 on both
of those is to create a very stable, not-changing-a lot API; and that makes
the concept of pushing something into either kind of an extraordinary thing.
 As of now, I could see maybe--*maybe*--two DojoX projects (one of which
isn't there yet) being pushed to Dojo.  Not really seeing anything else in
that regard (at least not yet).

trt