[dojo-contributors] Splitting projects between dojo and dojox

Tom Trenka ttrenka at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 12:31:53 EDT 2007

On 6/1/07, Jon Sykes <me at jpsykes.com> wrote:

> Pro's and con's time.
>

> What are the pros/cons of making everthing in Dojox be part of a dojox
> namespace?
>

> Cons:
> - If it's on the Dojox object and gets moved to the Dojo core, it means
> all code that references it  would need to be changed (or links in the
> functions would need to be provided from dojox.foo to dojo.foo)

You'd need to do this anyways, unless you make the assumption that you're
using the dojo namespace for all the projects in DojoX, which we won't do.

My personal feeling on this (namespacing) is that we tend to be a little too
paranoid about cluttering the global object; I would certainly not want to
dojox.gfx in a DojoX container because we're afraid someone may already be
using "gfx" as a container is questionable.  In my mind, if it's not
overwriting something native to a browser, it's fair game--within reason.

But we keep the dojox container because its a branding mechanism, and it
separates this code from Dojo itself.

Pros:
> - It means you can have the same names in Dojo core and experimental
> versions in Dojox without having names clash
> - It keeps the core namespace 'pure' (?)

As I said, I don't know that the latter is as much of a concern as we make
it to be.  We've swing full away from the "name it what you want in the
global object" and I think it might not be bad to come back a little bit.

trt

If there is anything else, please add it. :-)