[dojo-contributors] dijit: removing id attributes in favor of widgetid

Bill Keese bill at dojotoolkit.org
Fri Aug 31 22:15:18 EDT 2007

Tom Trenka wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> So in doing a lot of porting work from 0.4 to 0.9 with Dijit, we've run
> across a number of problems (many of them not Dijit-related), but
> there's one that stands out that seems like a deliberate choice.
>  Basically, it seems that Dijit will take something like this:

> ...and in the process of rendering, will change it to this:

id is supposed to get copied for every widgets, usually to the domNode,
and Adam has a pending checkin to fix the remaining widgets.  The
exceptional cases are things like spinner, with a template like:

Should the id get copied to the <span> or the <input>?  There are
arguments for each, but we have to pick one, so we picked the <input> (I
think it was so <label for=myId> works correctly, required for a11y.)
But we also apply an id to the <span> based on the id on the srcNode...

In this case you end up with:

<input dojoType=dijit.form.Spinner id=foo>

getting converted to something like:

(well actually it's a table but you get the idea)

So, I think that should solve all the issues.