[dojo-contributors] Chart Markup Proposal

Robert Coup rcoup at dojotoolkit.org
Thu Aug 30 17:59:26 EDT 2007

On 30/08/2007, Tom Trenka <ttrenka at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sounds like we might also want a "zoom" attribute as well to set
> > initial zoom, possibly as an alternative way to do the same thing?
> > Is the range in pixels, or units of the chart, or?  How will they pan/
> > zoom around the chart?  One simple method would be just to present
> > browser scrollbars, another cooler one would be drag interaction ala
> > google maps.  Which are you thinking?  Is there a way I can specify
> > which of those I want to use?
>

> I'm still figuring this out, any suggestions are welcome (that are not
> widget-based).  My primary inspirations here are audio editors (specifically
> Sound Forge), which allow for axis-based zooming as opposed to something
> like Google Maps (thinking the zoom and pan controls).  However, I would
> very much like to try to implement something like the navigator box
> available on the bottom right corner of GMaps.

I agree a Sound Forge style interface would be more useful than gmaps, and
would allow you to actually get more out of your data (eg. see the entire Y
axis but zoom the X axis and just show the area (X=100-120) that i'm
interested in). Could the chart have more detail appear as you go in? [I
know :P]

The navigator box is pretty trivial except if you want it to be a min
representation of the chart, because re-rendering the data would have to
happen. The exception would be using Canvas since you can get a bitmap out
of it, but AFAIK you can't do that for VML or SVG. I have code for
navigator/overview boxes here which i could twist around pretty easily. How
about passing the overview a %X and %Y for both the size and position wrt
the axis, and an event is triggered when the user drags and releases it?

Another maybe more useful option is to have X&Y scrollbars which allow
someone to drag along the X & Y axis to reveal more data. Even cooler is
making the scrollbars show the density of the data wrt that axis... eg. if
the points are clustered around X=10 and X=1000, those areas in the
"scrollbar" would be marked so you know where you should scroll to to see
interesting things. Again, a bit like Sound Forge. I'm happy to whip up
something like that if you think its a good idea.

Rob :)