[dojo-contributors] Chart Markup Proposal

Brian Douglas Skinner skinner at dojotoolkit.org
Wed Aug 29 18:37:03 EDT 2007

The new charting widget sounds cool.  I'm looking forward to using it!

>>     updateInterval="5"    <!-- Re-check the data store this
>> many seconds (or maybe milliseconds?) to keep the chart
>> up-to-date with the data store.  -->
>
> Seconds sounds good -- anything below that will probably hammer
> the server too often.  People can always specify a fraction here
> if they need sub-second.

It would be cool if the charting widget was designed to work with the
existing datastore notification mechanism.  If the widget listened for
the datastore onNew/onDelete/onSet notifications, then it shouldn't have
to do periodic polling for updates.

The datastore itself may still do polling to get the updates, but that
becomes an implementation detail hidden in the datastore.  Some
datastores may use comet rather polling to get updates.  Additionally,
some updates may not come from the server, but may come from edits made
by the user on the client, in which case you want to update the chart
immediately, not after 5 seconds.

:o) Brian