[dojo-contributors] tree/dojo.data problems (nee: Re: [Dojo-interest] [ANN] Dojo 0.9 Final)

Bill Keese bill at dojotoolkit.org
Tue Aug 21 16:33:03 EDT 2007

Jared Jurkiewicz wrote:
> Bill,
>    Agreed on the idea of adding user definable functions to tree to
> let you over-ride how the tree interprets items from a specific store.
>  That seems a pretty straightforward approach (since each store's
> items will generally have different attributes that mean different
> things.).  Woul you still keep the simple baseline implementation of
> providing a child attribute that could be a list of the items children
> as the default?

Yeah I think so, especially since we've already released that API as
part of 0.9.

> BTW, store.getValues() isn't asynchronous, its sync.   Though I guess
> you chould wrap around it and make it appear, to the Tree, that its
> async.  getValues() just returns an array of an item's attribute
> values (0 to many, depending on the actual item).  Over which you can
> iterate an isItem() test, then isItemLoaded(), to determine if lazy
> yet (or not, if all data is already available for that item).

My point is that getting the actual values is an asynchronous operation
(in the general case).  Saying that store.getValues() is synchronous is
like saying that dojo.xhrGet() is synchronous because it instantly
returns something.  It's technically true but sort of misleading.

By the way, lazy loading of children is something else that might not be
working with Tree currently.  I wrote the code but it hasn't been
tested, AFAIK.