[dojo-contributors] dijit.Tree assumes datastore implements Identity API

Brian Douglas Skinner skinner at dojotoolkit.org
Mon Aug 20 20:40:26 EDT 2007

> http://trac.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/4238
>
> dijit.Tree is accessing internal structures of the store instead
> of going through the proper ... accessors, as well as making
> assumptions that all stores implement Identity, which isn't true.

This may not be a good idea, but I wonder if for 1.0 we should think
about requiring all datastores to implement the Identity API methods,
and then include those methods in the Read API and get rid of the whole
notion of a separate Identity API.

Back a year ago, when we first decided to have separate APIs for Read
and Identity, the thinking was that the Identity API might grow to be
fairly complicated, to deal with situations like relational databases
with compound key fields.  But as it stands now, the Identity API is
just 3 methods, all of which should be pretty easy for any datastore to
implement.

:o) Brian