[dojo-contributors] mail demo!

Michael Smith savoyboy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 12:55:04 EDT 2007

On 8/20/07, Bill Keese <bill at dojotoolkit.org> wrote:

> > I know people are also going to ask: how do I make that store
> > server-backed, in such a way that I can page through the list and not
> > download the data for my entire inbox at once to populate the store.
> > That seems to be dojo.data faq #1
> >

> Yup, and we need a demo of that.  Any volunteers?  I think just a PHP
> file that can handle queries and return JSON:
>
> foo.php?type=message&folder=inbox
>
> And then a dojo.data store to connect to it.
>
> IIRC there's an SoC project to write a data store for MySQL but for the
> purposes of a mail demo I think something simpler is better.

Yes, the SoC project for the dojo data Overdrive store is nearing
completion. Unfortunately, it won't make the cut for the 0.9 release, so
we're aiming for 1.0. The Overdrive store depends on mysql on the server,
but it would be an interesting exercise to see if it would run under any
webservice that could interpret SQL queries and return JSON results. I'll be
reviewing the code over the next week and provide some updates to everyone.

So, I believe the only option for 0.9 is to do as Bill suggested with a PHP
URL for
     foo.php?type=message&folder=inbox
Other than Overdrive, there are no existing datastores that allow
lazy-loading of data. So this URL method, used with ItemFileReadStore, would
probably require a new datastore to be created with each different set of
Query String parameters, since the ItemFileReadStore will only query the
server once for all of the data that is requested.

Brian may be able to provide more insight on this. I'll provide more
information about Overdrive when it is available.

~Michael