[dojo-contributors] The Canonical Header for Online Book 0.9

James Burke jburke at dojotoolkit.org
Sun Aug 19 17:46:02 EDT 2007

On 8/19/07, Craig Riecke <craig at tofuna.com> wrote:
> Or, as perhaps the ultimate path of least resistance, we could use the
> CDN location as /dojoroot.  I admit being partial to this, and even to
> advocating CDN as the "recommended method" for learning/first applying
> Dojo.  (Side note: do we have a definitive list of things that do not
> work from CDN?)

I also like the idea of referencing the CDN, since it allows them to
save the example to disk and just try it without needing to install
Dojo. But of course I'm biased since I put the XD builds up.

The standard example template probably should include a reference to
dojo.addOnLoad(). The usage of it is required in XD (CDN) builds for
any setup you want to do after dojo.require'ing resources, and it is
good practice in general, even in non XD cases. So, to modify the
script tag in your example to this:

   <script type="text/javascript">
      dojo.require("dojo.parser");
      // Other requires
      dojo.addOnLoad(function(){
            //Do page initialization work here.
      });
    </script>

As far as modules that do not work or require additional setup with
the xdomain (XD/CDN) builds, there is an old list for 0.4.x modules
here:

http://dojotoolkit.org/book/dojo-book-0-4/part-6-customizing-dojo-builds-better-performance/cross-domain-resource-loading
(See "Module-specific notes" section)

I need to update the list for 0.9, but I think in general, most
modules should work. You might have to add an addition djConfig line,
but most should work (with the exception of the dojox.storage
dojox.flash if they still do document.writes).

As far as updating the XD notes for 0.9, it seems like they should go
somewhere near this page in the 0.9 book:
http://dojotoolkit.org/book/dojo-book-0-9/part-4-meta-dojo/package-system-and-custom-builds
Maybe have it as a page after that page in the Part 4 Meta Dojo section?

James