[dojo-contributors] squid theme

peter e higgins dante at inpdx.net
Fri Aug 17 15:23:44 EDT 2007

I'll hijack this too, then.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of dijitTests.css to provide a
baseline set of classes to make our test pages prettier?  Sam ran into
something w/ squid having to over-ride a body background-image defined
elsewhere (in dijitTests).  The prettyness in dijitTests doesn't affect the
widget's themselves, but in the case of squid, affects it horribly.  (a blue
gradient background over top of a darkish/brownish hue does not make my
stomach feel well) ... a simple solution would be to have a 'default
background gradient' for each of the supported themes in dijitTests.css eg:
body.tundra { }, body.squid { } ...

We've also caught a bug or two where a dijit was in fact dependant on the
styling provided by dojo.css, and as it is included in every test page (with
dijitTests.css as well) we're not actually testing the dijit's by themselves.
combobox margins being one of them.

My thoughts would be to move relevant dojo.css styles into dijit.css, and have
theme.css import dijit.css as it's baseline (apart from the table definition
in dojo.css), then remove dojo.css all together ... dojo core shouldn't be
doing any styling, right?  but we're making ourselves dependant on it by
inclusion.

eugene's question is a very valid one.  On the one hand, you'd want an avatar
to match up with whatever theme you are doing. the obvious solution would be
replicate in tundra/squid/soria/noir their own versions of avatars.  On the
other hand, there is nothing saying people will be using dnd with dijit's, or
tundra or any theme for that matter, so why make the component dependant on
having tundra/dijit available?  I'm +1 dojo/resources/defaultDnd.css, and
having an 'add on' implementation for each of the supported themes (but
limited to their own "virtual namespace via" .themeName .className, as we're
already doing with .tundra et al ... )

Regards.