[dojo-contributors] squid theme

Owen Williams owen at smartsoul.com
Fri Aug 17 12:54:09 EDT 2007

I find myself agreeing more with Sam than with Tom -- I think
dojo.css is doing too much to be generally useful, especially with
regard to tables.  I would recommend (in 1.0, anyway) that we do
*not* assume that dojo.css has been included, and instead include any
rules we need from there in dijit.css.  Our examples may or may not
include dojo.css, but we should not necessarily be telling other
users of dojo that they need to include it.

dojo.css is really a lightweight "theme" for normal web pages -- it's
not simply a "reset" (as in yui-reset.css) as I and many others have
assumed.  As such, I don't think users of dojo should need to include
it.  Having to turn off a bunch of stylistic decisions is a pain, and
anyone who has their own branded look will most likely immediately
have to turn off some of those rules from dojo.css.

I do agree with Tom that dijit needs to be coded defensively, within
reason.  However, I still feel that the troublesome rules for TABLE
should be taken out of dojo.css, if we're expecting anyone to use it
on their own pages.

And a different name may be warranted, as "dojo.css" makes it seem
like something that *has* to be included.