[dojo-contributors] Q about dojo.data update notification

Jared Jurkiewicz jared.jurkiewicz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 12:18:42 EDT 2007

Notification API is complete.  I don't know why Bill thinks it is
half-complete.   It's documented in dojo/data/api/Notification, as well as
out on the Dojotoolkit book:
http://www.dojotoolkit.org/book/dojo-book-0-9/part-3-programmatic-dijit-and-dojo/what-dojo-data/dojo-data-design-and-apis/notif

It doesn't use topics.  There was a large amount of discussion on this and
it was agreed with Alex to keep it super simple (decided months ago).  There
are functions on the store you can connect to, to get events on changes.
This is no more work than asking a store for a topic, then listening to a
topic in the amount of code it would take (It's probably less).

And remember, not all stores implement every 'API' set.  Some stores may not
choose to implement Notification, just like some stores may not choose to
implement write.

-- Jared