[dojo-contributors] Q about dojo.data update notification

Tom Trenka ttrenka at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 11:27:45 EDT 2007

Hey guys,
I was just talking with Bill and I'm wondering what the current plan is for
a dojo.data.store to notify anything consuming it that updates have been
made?  It seems to me that the ideal situation would be to use topics,
something on the order of (assuming multiple dijits are using the same store
for data):

1.  new [dijit]: if gets data from a store, ask the store what the update
topic to subscribe to is.
2.  dijit subscribes to said topic.
3.  all data changes are made to the underlying store as opposed to any kind
of internal rep used by a dijit
4.  when changes are pushed into a store, the store publishes the topic
message
5.  dijits built to re-render/update representation when subscriptions get
the message.

Bill mentioned that there's some kind of notification API in the works (or
half done), but wasn't sure if this is the way it worked--hence the
question.  I did something very similar to this with
collections.Store/FilteringTable,
and (aside from some bugs with updates as opposed to inserts) it worked very
well (it used connect instead of topics, but otherwise that was the
structure).

Am I off with this, and if so would someone mind explaining either how it
actually works (or what the game plan is)?

trt