[dojo-contributors] Re: dojo.lang.isUndefined()

Dean Edwards dean at edwards.name
Fri Jun 30 21:09:33 EDT 2006

Alex Russell wrote:
> On Friday 30 June 2006 8:17 am, Dean Edwards wrote:
>> On 30/06/06, Tom Trenka <ttrenka at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> ...so no, we're not really supporting IE 5.0.
>>>
>> I'm suprised. IE5.0 has a larger user base than Opera/Konqueror
>> combined. Peculiarly, it also has a larger user base than IE5.5 [1].
>
> That's the power of being the default install browser on an OS when it
> goes RTM, and why the pathetic joke that is IE 7 is going to be another
> long-term albatros since it'll the be the RTM browser for Vista.

Politics?

This to me is a very crucial decision in designing and implementing a
library.

In real terms, the difference between supporting IE5.0 and IE5.5 is it's
differing support for core JavaScript. Namely, the various Array methods
(pop/push etc) and more importantly, Function.apply/call. In terms of
HTML/CSS there are few differences. So DHTML is easy.

To support IE5.0 all you have to do is add support for Array.push/pop et
al and Function.apply/call. However, I'm assuming that you don't want to
mess with native objects, right?

-dean