[dojo-contributors] Accessibility issues with the use of CSS background images

Becky Gibson Becky_Gibson at notesdev.ibm.com
Thu Jun 22 18:31:50 EDT 2006

Jon Sykes wrote:
>+1 for phark revisited (it currently only fails in Images off, Css
>'fully' on) which is a pretty crazy browser setup.

When I test the phark revisited method in high contrast mode the text is
not visible because CSS positioning is still honored in this mode. This
will work for screen reader users but not high contrast users.

>Surely there must be a level of accessibility where the above just
>renders in traditional format, say as an input field, or a drop down
>list?

I agree that it is fine to use the traditional controls to provide
accessibility but many of the widgets do not have a traditional
equivalent.  The slider functionality can be provided via a set of input
fields but I'm not sure how to provide tab panels or tree controls?  Also,
how does the user request that version of the controls - I was assuming no
JavaScript enabled but, being a dojo newbie, I may be missing something.

Becky Gibson
Web Accessibility Architect

IBM Emerging Internet Technologies
5 Technology Park Drive